As a snowsports enthusiast, having the right gear can make all the difference on the slopes. Burton is one of the most trusted and well-known brands when it comes to high-performance snowboarding equipment and apparel. Founded in 1977 by Jake Burton Carpenter, Burton has been pioneering the sport of snowboarding for over four decades.
From their headquarters in Vermont, Burton designs and manufactures a wide range of products for men, women and children. Their gear is trusted by professionals and amateurs alike due to their commitment to innovation, quality and performance.
In this comprehensive guide, we'll take a closer look at what makes Burton stand out and provide tips on choosing the right Burton gear for your needs.
A good jacket is one of the most important pieces of gear for snowboarding. You'll want something insulated, waterproof and breathable to keep you warm and dry without overheating.
Burton uses technical fabrics like Gore-Tex to create jackets that are fully waterproof yet still breathable. Look for their 2 and 3 layer jackets which combine an outer shell with an inner moisture-wicking layer to prevent dampness.
Many of their insulated jackets use down insulation for its warmth, compressibility and durability. Synthetic insulations like PrimaLoft are also used for providing warmth even when wet.
For even more breathability, look for their jackets with mesh lined pit zips to provide ventilation and temperature regulation.
Burton's jacket technologies will have abbreviations like the following:
- GORE-TEX 2L: 2-layer Gore-Tex shell
- THERMOLITE: Thermolite synthetic insulation
- DRYRIDE DURASHELL: Burton's proprietary 2-layer fabric
- MAPPED: Mapped insulation placement
Some popular insulated and waterproof models to consider:
- Burton [AK] Swash Jacket: 3-layer Gore-Tex, waterproof and breathable
- Burton [AK] 2L Cyclic Jacket: Durable 2-layer polyester fabric, fully taped seams
- Burton Jet Set Jacket: Lightweight with PrimaLoft insulation
- Burton [AK] 3L Freebird Jacket: Gore-Tex fabric, critically taped seams
A good base layer is the first line of defence against the elements. Burton's base layer tops and bottoms use technical fabrics to wick moisture away from your skin and keep you dry.
- Look for their base layers using polyester, nylon or wool fabrics. These naturally wick moisture better than cotton.
- Mesh zones provide breathability in sweat zones like the underarms.
- Flatlock seams prevent chafing from ridged seams.
- The weight of the base layer will depend on the weather conditions. Lightweight skins are good for mild days while midweight and expedition weights work well in colder weather.
Some top picks for base layers:
- Women's Burton Midweight Wick Base Layer: Polyester fabric, flatlock seams
- Burton Expedition Weight Base Layer: 280g polyester for seriously cold conditions
- Burton Merino Wool Base Layer: Naturally antimicrobial and moisture-wicking
- Kid's Burton Midweight Base Layer: Affordable and comfortable fit
Snowboard pants are just as crucial as your jacket when it comes to weather protection. Look for pants with the following features:
- Fully taped or critically taped seams prevent moisture from seeping through stitching.
- DWR (Durable Water Repellent) coating causes water to bead and roll off the fabric surface.
- Mesh lined inner thighs add breathability and ventilation.
- Articulated knees allow for flexibility and ease of movement.
- Reinforced instep and cuffs prevent wear and tear.
- Cargo pockets and thigh vents provide utility and airflow.
Some of Burton's top snowboard pants include:
- [AK] 2L Cyclic Pants: Durable polyester 2-layer shell, fully taped seams
- Burton [AK] 3L Hover Pants: Lightweight 3-layer Gore-Tex fabric
- Burton Baker Insulated Pants: Taffeta fabric, 60g insulation
- Burton Society Pants: Stretch twill fabric with DWR coating
- Burton [AK] Boa Pants: Gore-Tex fabric, Boa closure system
Following the layering system is key to staying comfortable and protected during snow activities.
Your first layer should be a moisture-wicking thermal base layer. Synthetic and merino wool fabrics work best.
The middle insulating layer provides warmth. Fleece jackets and hoodies or down vests from Burton insulate without restricting mobility.
The outer shell layer shields you from wind, snow and rain. Having both a waterproof, breathable jacket and pant shell is recommended.
Additional softshell layers can be added for extra insulation and wind resistance if needed.
Gloves & Mitts
Keeping hands warm and dry is crucial for comfort and performance. Burton's gloves and mitts use insulation and shell fabrics to block wind and water.
Features to look for include:
- Insulation types like PrimaLoft, 3MTM Thinsulate and down
- Waterproof and breathable inserts
- Pre-curved fingers
- Flexible, articulated constructions
- Fleece linings and cuffs help seal out snow
- Adjustable cuffs and wrist gaiters
- Leashes to prevent dropping
The AK 3-in-1 Glove system from Burton allows you to change between a waterproof outer mitten shell and warmer fleece liner glove for customizable protection.
Protecting your head is an absolute must for snowboarding and skiing. Burton helmets are designed with the following safety features:
- ABS or polycarbonate shell material is extremely impact-resistant
- EPS foam lining cushions and absorbs shock
- Venting systems keep you cool and comfortable
- Inner linings wick away moisture and perspiration
- Goggle clips securely hold your goggles in place
- Adjustable or fixed fit systems ensure a snug and stable fit
Be sure to choose the right size helmet for a secure yet comfortable fit all day. Popular styles include the Anon Blitz Helmet, Burton Concord Helmet and Burton One Hitter Helmet.
Quality goggles are vital for seeing clearly in snowy conditions. Burton goggles come equipped with:
- Anti-fog coatings prevent lens fogging
- UV protection filters out harmful rays
- Dual layer foam with moisture wicking fleece
- Lens venting to reduce fogging
- Spherical, flat or cylindrical lens shapes based on preference
- Strap adjustments for customised fit
- Helmet integration so they fit seamlessly together
Look for their high performing ANON series goggles for innovative magnetic lens technology and superior optics.
Stiff, supportive boots are what connect your body to the board and controls your movements. Burton produces boots engineered for responsiveness and all-day comfort:
- Shrinkage reduction tech prevents packing out over time
- Cushioning beds cushion your feet without packing down
- Integrated lacing systems like Speed Zone tighten uniformly
- Low-profile outsoles improve feel and stability
- Heat-mouldable liners can be customized to your feet
- Flexible or stiffer flexes available
Make sure to measure your feet and try boots on for fit. Popular styles include the Burton Ruler BOA, Burton Photon BOA and Burton Supreme BOA boots.
Wicking sock liners help keep feet dry while providing cushioning and blister defence.
Burton's snowboard socks feature:
- Merino wool or synthetic blends
- Flat toe seams
- Light to mid cushioned profiles
- Mesh zones for breathability
- Acrylic content for stretch and recovery
- Non-slip cuffs that stay up
Matching your sock warmth level to your boots is key. Light and ultra-light socks work well with soft boots while medium cushions are ideal for stiff traditional lace-ups.
Protecting yourself should be your main priority on the mountain. Burton offers quality safety equipment like:
- Knee, elbow and wrist guards with flexible and breathable constructions
- Protective shorts with built-in padded hip protection
- Impact protection vests that slip under outerwear
- Helmets for all ages (see helmets section above)
- Leashes to secure gear to your body
Ask about the junior and women's specific ranges for protection designed with smaller frames in mind.
Burton caters to men seeking high-octane snow adventures with gear like:
- Insulated and shell jackets using durable fabrics like Gore-Tex
- Relaxed fit cargo pants with useful pockets and vents
- Base layers from Expedition weight to lightweight skins
- Heavyweight down puffer coats and vests
- Softshell hoodies and pullovers for easy layering
- Casual flannel shirts and pullovers for après vibes
- Protective snow pants with Vapor Tapering
- All-mountain snowboards like the Process and Custom
- Mid and stiff supportive boots like the Ruler and Ion
Whether you seek pow laps, kickers and rails, or just casual resort riding, Burton has the technical menswear to take you there.
Burton understands that women need gear engineered specifically for their frames. Burton women's products include:
- Jackets designed for curves with shaping seams
- Stretchy snow pants for ease of movement
- Base layers with body mapping insulation
- Softshell jackets made for feminine figures
- Boots with reduced bulk and responsive flex
- Bindings with lower profile designs
- Shorter, women's specific snowboards
- Protective shorts and pants with compression fit
Models like the Lorelei jacket and boot are optimised for women seeking confident control in the snow.
Get your grom shredders outfitted safely from head to toe with Burton's youth gear.
- Insulated and shell jackets sized to fit growing kids
- Snow pants with room to grow reinforced seams
- Base layer sets to keep them warm and dry
- Helmets with venting and lightweight comfort
- Beanies, facemasks and neck gaiters for additional coverage
- Mittens and gloves with wrist leashes attached
- Beginner snowboards sized down for small riders
- Soft and flexible boots promoting stability
- Bindings with safety straps and cam locks
- Protective pads, guards and impact shorts
Let them progress safely from the bunny slopes to terrain park with durable Burton equipment guaranteed to last.
Finish off your look with Burton accessories:
- Beanies, headbands, and facemasks wick moisture and insulate
- Neck gaiters that pull up for face coverage
- Backpacks and cargo packs for hauling gear
- Durable travel bags with board and boot storage
- Helmet compatible headphones and audio
- Goggle and lens care items
- Base wax, tuning tools and ski ties
- Shovels, probes and rescue kits
- Leashes and security cables
- Coolers, water bottles and mugs
Don't forget the sunscreen, hand warmers and other essentials to stay safe and comfortable out there.
As a leading snowboard maker, Burton's board technologies include:
- Directional and twin shapes based on riding style
- Camber, rocker, and flat-top camber profiles
- Channel mounting and Infinite Ride systems
- ULPTM sintered bases for speed and durability
- Patented squeezebox core profiling
- Triax, biax, and unidirectional glass fibres
- Deep Space Glass particles for vibration dampening
- Frostbite edges grip on ice
- Powder-specific swallow tail shapes
- Patented smalls tech on downsized boards
- Smooth riding squeezebox sidecut
- Twin, directional, and tapered flexes
Iconic all-mountain boards like the Custom, Process, and Family Tree models dominate resort terrain parks and backcountry lines alike.
Bindings & Boots
Bindings connect you to your board while boots translate movements to your board. Core binding features include:
- Injected EVA bushings for cushioning
- The Lifetime Baseplate Warranty
- Multiple adjustable flexes
- Responsiveness-focused EST binding options
- Steps-in for speedy entry
- Integrated hinge tech for fluid flexing
- Supergrip capstraps and toes straps
- Canted and flat footbeds
Their boots combine comfort and responsiveness through tech like:
- Dual-density intuition foam liners
- Moulded EVA insoles with support zones
- Flexible or stiff outsoles and spine backs
- The Boa fit system for dialled tightness
- Heat-mouldable uppers
- Imprint liners conforming to foot shape
- Sleeping bag reflective foils
Riding Styles & Skill Levels
Burton caters to all rider skills and styles:
All-Mountain: Offering versatile control on varied terrain
Freestyle: Prioritising playfulness for jumps and tricks
Freeride: Emphasising fast acceleration and stability for charging
Beginner-Friendly: Making learning easy with flexible gear
Powder & Backcountry: Maximising deep snow float and balance
Within each style you'll find men's women's and kids model options. Try out a variety of boards and boots to hone in on your personal preferences.
Burton provides reassuring product warranties like:
- The Lifetime Baseplate Warranty: covers baseplate breaks for life
- 1-Year Product Warranty: protects against defects
- 30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee: provides hassle-free returns
- 3-Year Board Warranty: covers damages like delamination
- Boa Guarantee: insures Boa cables and dials
Be sure to register your products online to take advantage of warranty protections.
Proper storage and care will maximize the lifespan of your Burton gear.
Sustainability & Ethics
Burton prides itself on its sustainability and social responsibility initiatives. They have programs dedicated to:
- Sustainable manufacturing practices
- Renewable energy like solar and wind
- Recyclable and eco-friendly materials
- Reducing waste, emissions and water usage
- Improving supply chain ethics and labour policies
- Donating to environmental causes
- Supporting youth education and mentoring
- Maintaining transparency around sustainability
Through corporate responsibility and green initiatives, Burton aims to protect the mountains and environment that make snowboarding possible.
Why Choose Burton?
With over 40 years of innovation, Burton has proven itself as an industry leader trusted for performance and quality. Reasons to go Burton include:
- Pioneering snowboard technologies and culture
- Consistent innovation and performance
- Premium materials and expert construction
- Extensive style, size and fit range
- Options tailored for men, women and kids
- Vast colour and graphic selections
- Leading warranty and consumer protections
- Made in the USA and Europe manufacturing
- Care for employees, environment and community
- Giving back through charity foundations
- Dominant presence at competitions and events
- One of the most globally recognised brands
- Loved by amateurs and pros alike
As an iconic snowboard brand, Burton delivers some of the most advanced and reliable gear money can buy. You can feel confident riding with quality equipment that's built to last.
From outerwear to boards, bindings to boots, Burton has all the gear to get you shredding in style. Their commitment to innovation, performance and rider-first designs makes them a favourite for snowsports enthusiasts worldwide.
Use this guide to narrow down your needs based on riding style, skill level, conditions and specific features you want. Investing in quality equipment made to last pays off every time you carve a turn or hit that big air.
So get out there and ride with the confidence that comes from gear you can trust. Let Burton help you progress your skills and explore mountains in ways you never thought possible. The snow awaits!