1. Don't be intimidated by the "yoga world"! You don't need much: just comfy clothes and a mat. You certainly do not need to be flexible. That's why you practise; to create more space in the body!
2. Try different classes if you can, so you can find a teacher and a style you like. There are many different styles, so do a little bit of research. If you are fit and you like high energy activities and sweating a lot, start with a dynamic class not with a 1hr seated meditation! Alternatively, you like slower paced, gentle movements, go for hatha yoga.
3. If possible, go to a class rather than practising with an online platform. Having a teacher in the room to help guide you and correct any positioning can really help and prevent injury.
4. Tell your teacher about any injuries - it will help them to guide you and suggest alternatives where needed.
5. And finally, don't push it too much: you don't need to be putting your foot behind your head like those people you’ve seen on Instagram! Practising yoga is all about being present and tuning in; the shapes don't matter all that much. There is no being the best when it comes to yoga, because it’s all about what goes on within.
Looking for some gear to get you moving? We've got just the thing.